Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Fourth Day in Wales

Here I am at Caerffili Castle(you would pronounce it CAR-FILY)  This castle was built between 1268-1271 AD by a man named Gilbert de Calre during the First Welsh War of Independence.  What do you think independence means?

This is what the castle looks like from the castle gate.  There was a moat, or a body of water made by man, all around the castle wall.  The bridge you see in the picture is what I used to cross into the main part of the castle.  Why do you think castles had moats around them?


This tower was used for observation.  They climbed all the way to the top in order to see which direction the enemy was coming from.  Can you imagine how many steps they must have ahd to climb?  My legs were so tired! 


This is me in the city of Caerfili.  I am at an mall.  Have you ever been to the mall?  Does yours look like this one?  What types of goods would you buy at the mall?



These three pictures are from a dam Ms. Coates and I visited.  There is a large wall built to hold water above a river.  The water is then used to provide neighboring cities with clean fresh water.  Isn't this beautiful?!  The dam is located at Cors Goch.  It has been my favorite place to visit so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment